- 1 can corned beef
- 1 cup dried potato flakes
- 1 small onion ( or ½ cup dried onion flakes )
- ¼ to ½ cup dried mushrooms
- Hot sauce
- Reconstitute potato flakes , dried mushrooms (and onion flakes if using) by soaking separately in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Remove excess water from soaked vegetables.
- If using a fresh onion peel and finely chop.
- Fry onion in a small amount of oil ( say 1tbsp) until softened and coloured but not browned.
- Add potato flakes and mushrooms and stir fry until potato browns. Add more oil if required.
- Open can of corned beef and crumble into the vegetable mixture.
- Stir well and cook until corned beef is heated through and the hash is well combined
- Season to taste (including the hot sauce if desired).
Serve with a green vegetable and ketchup or brown sauce on the side.
- Omit potato and serve it with mashed potato.
- Add spices to your taste e.g. paprika.
- Top with grated cheese.
- Any leftovers make a great breakfast dish with a fried egg or two.
- Corned beef can be previously dried using a cookie sheet lined with paper towels which will need to be frequently replaced until a dry crumbly product is obtained. This can be kept in the fridge or freezer until needed for your kayak trip