Mix It Up Stir-fry Dinner
- 2 tbsp oil (30 ml)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil, optional(15 ml)
- 2 tsp minced ginger (10 ml)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup whole raw cashews or slivered almonds, optional (250 ml)
- 2 carrots, sliced into ¼ inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pepper, sliced into 1x1 inch pieces
- ½ pound mushrooms, sliced (200 g)
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into ½ inch, bite-sized pieces
- ½ pound snow peas (200 g)
- 1 small bunch bok choy, cut crosswise at 1-inch intervals
- 8-10 oz firm tofu, cubed (or other source of protein)(225-285 g)
- 1 tbsp or more juice from ½ lemon (15 ml)
- Rice or noodles
- Soy sauce
Heat oils, ginger and garlic in wok or large skillet. Add onion, cashews, carrots and celery: stir-fry for about 4 minutes over high heat. Add pepper, mushrooms, zucchini, and snow peas; stir-fry about 2 minutes more. Stir in bok choy and tofu or other cooked protein. Cover and steam until hot and tender, about 5 minutes more. Drizzle with lemon juice and toss. Serve with rice or noodles and soy sauce.
Note: substitute other vegetables and prepare so that vegetables that take longer to cook are added first.
Adapted from: Kayak Cookery, Linda Daniel, 1988 page 141.
Kathy Romses, 2017