Just because your paddling trip at the end of last season was a good one, doesn't mean your equipment and processes can't use a little review. Before you head out, here are some tips to ensure a safe 2016 paddling season:
- Check your equipment:
- Kayak: What shape is it in? How are the rudder cables? The deck lines? Grommets?
- Safety Gear: what shape is it in? Is it complete? Do any items need replacing?
- First Aid Kit: Do any items need replacing?
- Communication Equipment: Does it work? Are the batteries charged? Do you remember how to use it?
- Always complete a Float Plan for a trip
- Use the Launch Site Checklist before getting on the water
- Check out the new Whistle & Paddle Signals handout to improve on-water communication
You can find additional checklists and trip planning forms on the Trip Planning page.
Remember: Always be accountable for your safety and your paddling partner's safety