Monthly club meetings – In person or on Zoom?

• Creator
    Topic
    George Prevost
    Participant

Members of the executive sometimes hear requests that the club return to holding monthly meetings in person rather than on Zoom.  What are your thoughts?  Do you have a preference?  If so, what are your reasons?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Kevin Amos

If you want to volunteer to assist with meetings, update your profile for volunteering when you renew your membership or update your profile. There are 3 options:

Help at Monthly Club Meetings

Help setup at Monthly Meetings
    Monthly Meeting Cleanup and Recycling

Currently there are 30 volunteers. If someone wants to get a list of volunteers contact Membership.

Alix MacNiel

Thinking of club goals and future direction, I feel that if a club is to have interpersonal cohesion, commitment (inspiring volunteerism), and growth, at least some face-to-face meetings are needed. Considering newcomers (growth) face to face meetings provide important opportunities for connection with more experienced club members. Perhaps face to face meetings could be set up during spring, summer and fall evenings.

Peter Kearney

Hi Susan,

All excellent points. If the bodies aren’t there to put an event on or to even attend an in-person event then why do it? Perhaps try for only 1 in-person with a speaker in 2024 and combine it with an already scheduled event?

Susan Jensen

What I can contribute to this conversation are some facts and numbers from the volunteer recruitment perspective. (This will be too long to read for many folks.)

Here’s what went into our in-person meetings before the pandemic. A dozen+ volunteers were involved to:

– Identify potential halls, scout for availability, view, compare, vote on, sign contract, and pay.

– Identify and research potential guest speakers for Program, solicit, schedule, coordinate including ferries, accommodation reimbursement, thank you card, etc.

– Advertise meeting on website, social media, and by email

– Purchase snacks and beverages

– Print nametags for new members (outdoor clubs have reusable nametags)

– Coordinate announcements of club business and safety topics to make sure appropriate people are in attendance to do it and nobody gets their toes stepped on

– Prepare Safety Talk some months

– Arrange last minute logistics (if a volunteer can’t attend, finding someone else)

Night of meeting:

5:00 pm: Volunteer(s) meet out-of-town guest speaker for dinner.

6:15: Volunteer(s) pick up the hall keys, unlock doors, turn on heat, set up chairs and tables

6:45: 6+ volunteers arrive to set up AV equipment, screen, make coffee and tea, set up library, set up snacks, set up welcome table with nametags

7:00: Members arrive, socialize, snack, use club library

7:30 -8:45: Announcements, and/or safety talk and guest speaker

8:45: Program ends and members stack chairs

8:45 – 9:00: Socializing with many leaving by 9pm and some lingering

9:30: cleanup by 4+ volunteers  – coffee urn, mugs, plates and cutlery washed (outdoor clubs don’t use disposables), AV equipment and screen taken down and stored, library put into crates and stored, floor swept, trash taken out

10:00 pm: volunteer(s) lock hall and return key

Driving costs and time vary depending on where in the Lower Mainland people are coming from. Of course some of these tasks are done even if we meet over Zoom. And sure in-person meetings could be simpler (but what exactly would we eliminate?)

I currently don’t see anyone, much less a dozen people, volunteering to do all of this every month or even every 3 months as has been suggested. For example, this year the Nomination Committee solicited another assistant to our Programs Officer and nobody would commit. We also don’t have Safety or Outreach officers for 2024.

Our Programs team has found excellent guest speakers for our virtual meetings but it’s clear that some folks are uncomfortable with Zoom or tired of screens.  So to address this, in addition to trips, workshops and courses, our volunteers planned many social events and are working on how to make them better. There were small pizza lunches in the winter plus:

May: Spring Fling dinner

June: New Member Welcome paddle and lunch

July: Locarno picnic

August: Locarno picnic

September: Fall Fling dinner

December: Christmas party

Between 5-45 participants attended each of these. We’ve been begging for people to turn out — so please start attending if you don’t already.  All of these events could be made even better. For example, we’d love it if members would volunteer to offer enhancements like presentations, equipment demos, games, gear swaps, or whatever they’d like to share.

About hybrid meetings, I don’t think they are a good option for an organization where members are spread out geographically and attendance is optional. Personally, I would be disappointed if I drove into Vancouver on a rainy night for a hybrid meeting and the only in-person attendees were the dozen volunteers who had to be there.

John McIntyre

I prefer in person meetings.  There is a greater opportunity to interact with others who attend, rather than on-line.  I do not think it needs to be either/or.  If it is a logistic option, other members and guests should be able to attend the same meeting on-line.

Helen Roberts

We prefer in-person meetings so that we can interact with others and exchange news/ideas.  Perhaps some meetings could be in person and others via Zoom?

Bob Maher

For the in-person meetings before Covid there were always enough people to set up and take down the chairs etc. Yes, there has to be some one to coordinate ZOOM or In-Person meetings. I did mention to George and Kevin H that I would assist Kevin to set up speakers for in person meetings.

Getting a Venue for the In-Person meetings is the important first step.

Iveta Janot

I prefer in person meeting, I spent enough time on computer at work.  As well it is much nicer to chat with others in person.  Perhaps every second or third month would be good.

Maureen Benzon

My opinion does not count because I am unable to make Monday nights, either in person or on zoom. However, if meetings were to be held on another night, I would attend in person meetings. Having zoom as an option is great for those who live further away.

Nancy More

I much prefer in-person meetings.   I either travel by Translink or carpool with other members.   The ability to get to meet and know people via Chat rooms is limited as one can’t feel the energy coming from other people.   It is certainly possible to do this as a hybrid meeting but would require investigation of the internet bandwidth available at the venue.

Quirine Schuyff

Kevin A that’s a really important point!

Kevin Amos

The club events are organized by volunteers. Be it Trip Leaders, Instructors or Members of the Executive. In order to have in person meetings you need volunteers to make it happen. I see nothing stopping in person or hybrid meetings from happening. You just need someone to organize it. I just don’t see anyone right now volunteering to do it.

Kallie Cunningham

As many have noted, there are many reasons to have in person meetings which I value. But I live in N Vancouver.  Given weather over the winter as noted already, and traffic (I no longer work downtown, so bridge traffic is an issue at the end of the day), I support finding an option for in person meetings where we can book a location (probaby not monthly) for in person meetings.  I would support making remote/hybrid possible. BUT,  I do not know what the tech requirements would be to support an effective/pleasant hybrid meeeting experience and am mindful that if a meeting is hybrid, it can detract from in person attendance.

Cynthia Materi

I would like in-person meetings. You can still zoom the meeting, especially the presentation for those who can’t make it.  This is a club not a business. It is much easier to connect with others at the meetings. More friendly and open. Let go back to them.

Peter Kearney

Is it possible to have hybrid meetings – zoom and in-person?

Viewing 15 replies - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.