Are You Engaged? Conservation and SKABC

• Creator
    Topic
    Roxanne Rousseau

Hello All, Roxanne (Conservation chair with SKABC) here – would love to form an engaged group of like minded individuals that focuses on conservation. This is a huge topic and by definition conservation can cover the action of preservation, protection or restoration of the natural environment, natural ecosystems, vegetation, and wildlife. Whew that’s a lot of ground and water!

So how can one enjoy the fantastic kayaking opportunities the club offers but also include a balanced opportunity to practice conservation and still have fun?

After the last SKABC meeting held this January several club members expressed an interest in brain storming some ideas. After meeting at the Billy Bishop Pub a few ideas were generated including:

1. Creating a learning session on invasive plants;

2. Learning about low impact camping and practicing it;

3. Planned kayak trips to BC Marine Trail Sites and completing  site evaluation forms – would be great if we could do this for the Howe Sound Marine Trails;

4. Marine mammal sightings and reinforcing how to report these;

5. Pit toilets and perhaps other forms of toilet upkeep and who to report to;

6. Garbage pick up/ tsunami debris pick up; Create an art making session from garbage found on the water;

7. Participate in the Shoreline Clean Up effort in September;

8. Finding and bringing in speakers from the conservation community.

Not a bad start for this grass roots start to engagement!

IF you are interested in helping to keep this topic hot, fun and sensible let’s chat by forum or email or telephone! Also I am proposing a gathering of like minded individuals for Tuesday 26th of January 2016 at 0700pm at Zawa’s Restaurant located at 920 Commercial Drive. Ride your bike if you can! Bring your ideas! Let’s create some projects and or events!

PS: In hopes of possible “partnering” with other groups, I have reached out to:

-The Vancouver Parks Board;

– The Fraser Basin Council;

– The BC Marine Trails Network;

In the past we have connected with Raincoast Conservation Foundation and Vancouver Aquarium for club meeting presentations.

Anyways  – let’s at the end of all of this be able to say, “Yes I am Engaged!”

Look forward to hearing and meeting you!

Bye for now,

Roxanne

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    John Leung

Hi Roxanne, I’m new to the club, not sure if I need to sign up.  Just so that you have some numbers, I’ll be joining you guys at Zawa.  Hope I’ll be able to find you guys.

John

Shirley Brunke

Hi Roxanne,

Looking forward to joining the group at Zawa to talk about conservation. See you there.

Shirley Brunke

Virginia Bowden

Glad you are putting this together, Roxanne.  See you at Zawa’s.

Jonathan Jacobsen

I’ve just rejoined the club after a long absence and am looking forward to reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones. This seems like a great way to start, so I’ll be there a week Tuesday. I feel quite out of touch with the kayaking community, but all of Roxanne’s initial ideas above seem feasible.

Looking forward to seeing you again Roxanne, Nick and Rob, and to meeting you Reed.

Rob Leeson

Yes a great idea Roxanne! Lets be clear that our enjoyment of the outdoors through kayaking is very dependent on our conserving some of the worlds best areas for this experience.

I look forward to sharing some brain storming ideas  with like minded fellow kayakers on Jan 26 at Zawa’s.

Rob

Roxanne Rousseau

Super Nick and thanks for your post!It will be a great night of sharing ideas and putting together a focus for conservation ideas and kayaking. I look forward to seeing you and other interested SKABC members on Tuesday on the 26th of January at Zawa’s at 7pm. I’ve booked a table and now we just need to fill the seats! Best, Roxanne

Nicholas Heath

Super, Roxanne! I love to see paddlers in our club setting a great example to all, everywhere that they go. I’ll bring some ideas to Zawa’s. Thks for doing this!

Roxanne Rousseau

Hi Reed – Thanks for responding! I’ll check with Zawa’s and confirm and let all know. Generally its a low key place to meet – it’s right at Venables and Commercial so close to pretty much everything and free parking on Venables if you need it. But for now just come! If you have any ideas for stimulating participation and moving this forward let me know. Best, Roxanne

Reed Clarke

I’ve never been to Zawa’s restaurant. Do we need to sign up, in order to make a reservation? Or, should we just show up at the right time and day?

Viewing 9 replies - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The topic ‘Are You Engaged? Conservation and SKABC’ is closed to new replies.