- This topic has 24 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 1 month ago by .
Hello All, Roxanne (Conservation chair with SKABC) here – would love to form an engaged group of like minded individuals that focuses on conservation. This is a huge topic and by definition conservation can cover the action of preservation, protection or restoration of the natural environment, natural ecosystems, vegetation, and wildlife. Whew that’s a lot of ground and water!
So how can one enjoy the fantastic kayaking opportunities the club offers but also include a balanced opportunity to practice conservation and still have fun?
After the last SKABC meeting held this January several club members expressed an interest in brain storming some ideas. After meeting at the Billy Bishop Pub a few ideas were generated including:
1. Creating a learning session on invasive plants;
2. Learning about low impact camping and practicing it;
3. Planned kayak trips to BC Marine Trail Sites and completing site evaluation forms – would be great if we could do this for the Howe Sound Marine Trails;
4. Marine mammal sightings and reinforcing how to report these;
5. Pit toilets and perhaps other forms of toilet upkeep and who to report to;
6. Garbage pick up/ tsunami debris pick up; Create an art making session from garbage found on the water;
7. Participate in the Shoreline Clean Up effort in September;
8. Finding and bringing in speakers from the conservation community.
Not a bad start for this grass roots start to engagement!
IF you are interested in helping to keep this topic hot, fun and sensible let’s chat by forum or email or telephone! Also I am proposing a gathering of like minded individuals for Tuesday 26th of January 2016 at 0700pm at Zawa’s Restaurant located at 920 Commercial Drive. Ride your bike if you can! Bring your ideas! Let’s create some projects and or events!
PS: In hopes of possible “partnering” with other groups, I have reached out to:
-The Vancouver Parks Board;
– The Fraser Basin Council;
– The BC Marine Trails Network;
In the past we have connected with Raincoast Conservation Foundation and Vancouver Aquarium for club meeting presentations.
Anyways – let’s at the end of all of this be able to say, “Yes I am Engaged!”
Look forward to hearing and meeting you!
Bye for now,
- The topic ‘Are You Engaged? Conservation and SKABC’ is closed to new replies.