Which White gel coat to use for kayak repair

• Creator
    Topic
    Cynthia Kennedy
    Participant

Hi folks

I am doing kayak maintenance. My old Seaward Tyee needs some TLC.  I have small rub (about 1/8 inch) to the composite.  Still water tight. I am looking for suggestions for a  gel coat product that dries white  and where are you buying it locally?  Looking to finish repair this weekend.  Kayak is on support in garage.  Some marine product review state hardener is coloured and end result is tinted.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Cynthia Kennedy

Thanks folks for the input

Stevenson Marine smallest quantity of gel coat is a quart.  (the smaller containers leaked and they returned them) so I will be checking out Coast Fiber tek next Saturday

Ted Lam

Hi Cynthia,

This is Ted, met you on the New Castle Island trip.
    For the white gel coat, I would recommend the  Fiber Teck one, small can 250 ml, white waxed (for polishing after) and the hardener at the Boundary road store, Burnaby. First, don’t mix hardener yet,  check for colour match, if your boat colour is a little off, mix with yellow paint, one drop at a time until you satisfied. Don’t worry when you test, gel coat with out hardener is just like mud, you can wipe it off easily, it only dries up and hardened after you mix the hardener depending the amount and air temperature. It’s smell is quite awful so you need to work where there is good air flow. At the first time, everybody always does with clumsiness, I suggest you do a dry test on something first. Prepare for latex gloves, a few small disposable cups for mixing, brushes, Acetone. Remember to clean and rub the area good before applying gel coat. I have done this many times for my white Nimbus Telkwa, as a matter of fact, last month, I added a thick line of gel coat under the bow and stern of my two boats instead using the keel strip, it is hard as rock. If you need more help, please let me know. My number is 778-939-6423 – Good luck.

Cameron Redenbach

Great info Nick thanks

I have found that https://fibertek.ca/product-category/fiberglass-materials/gelcoats-pigments/
    Fibertek sells gelcoat as well , not sure price comparison to the marine stores. Or who sells the smallest quantities as your just have a minimal repair.

Coast Fiber-Tek Products Ltd.
    1306 Boundary Road
    Burnaby, BC  V5K 4T6
    Phone: 604-294-8116

Nick Heath

Good for you, Cynthia! You can buy pre-tinted gelcoat readily enough, e.g. at Martin Marine in N Van or Steveston Marine/Hardware in Kitsilano (among others).  Any hardener I’ve used has been clear. You’d need the smallest amounts that they sell. No guarantee with that the colour/tint match would be perfect but, for a small gouge, you would never notice if it were not exact. A v small amount of rubbing compound (like for car bodywork) can be used to polish it after, so that it blends well. G’luck!

Philip Kubik

Hello Cynthia,

If you want an exact match, you will probably need to add a small (start with 1 drop) amount of black (or a colour). You will have to mix and try. For myself, I just use white and don’t worry about an exact match. Gel coat should be available from any marine store. I have used Steveston Marine.

Regards,

Philip

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.