- This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years, 7 months ago by .
Looking to see if there are any other Advanced Beginner / Intermediate paddlers interested in weekend trips in March & April.
When the weather gets cold, the light is limited, and you’ve only got a weekend, a paddle that would be easy-peasy (and crowded!) in summer, makes for memorable adventures for the willing and prepared.
Some trips I’ve considered:
* Alouette Lake
* Keats Island – from any of Whytecliff, Bowen Bay, or Gibsons
* Thornbrough or Bain Creek (West Howe Sound) – from Porteau Cove
* Halkett Bay (Gambier Island) – from Porteau Cove
* Buccaneer Bay (Thormanby Island) – from any of Davis Bay, Sargeant Bay, or Welcome Beach
These are suggestions; not all will get done. I figure I’ve got a shot at 2 weekend trips at least in the next 2 months. For me, more options are better than less.
Example of my destination consideration: Thormanby is the only site listed I haven’t been before. I know it’s quite an exposed camp site, but if there’s a decent weather weekend forecast I figure it’s worth seeing without the summer crowds and site reservations.
Example of my route consideration: The Davis Bay to Thormanby could be brutal if the winds are foul: 3C would be pushing my limits. I would give it a pass in that case. If the wind forecast is kind, it would be good training for summer crossings.
I am open to: (a) posting a club trip, (b) doing this informally (not a club trip), or (c) going solo. Last year I paddled every month of the year and camped many of them. I’d like to stay on that pace this year, but attempting “the more, the merrier!” strategy as well.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.