Wed 30 Mar Seeking help at Gambier Cabin

• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Nick Heath.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Nick Heath
    Participant

I’m going again to Gambier to work on some tiling and the wood stove installation. The weather forecast looks reasonable. I travel in my very small power boat to a member’s private cabin, that is available for SKABC member use. For safety reasons it is better for 2 to be on site.

Another job that can be done close to the cabin is to try to clean and prepare an existing unused water storage tank and connect plastic pipes so that it fills from the adjacent stream (permit already granted). This will provide a 1000 L water reserve for dry periods, which could be treated or boiled for drinking or used for fire control in an emergency.  Other tasks (there are many) could be to locate and buck downed timber for firewood, then stack it.

So I’m looking for a hardy person who could figure out and complete these tasks without much supervision.

I’ll launch at McDonald Ramp in Richmond. but could pick up a helper in W Van e.g. Sunset Marina or Caulfeild Cove or similar.  This will be a full day.

Pl send me email if you re interested.

Nick:    treasurer2 at skabc.org

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

Yes, Paul, I’ve used Sunset Marina many times, but I’m getting tired of the poor ramp angle which makes it hard to get my boat back on its trailer straight, although at least they have put back in place the side float/dock which usually get pulled out of service for the winter.  Also, they increased their day rate to $40 – ouch!

Still, after the 18 NM of rough water (well at least 6 NM of it was rough) on the way back to Richmond last time, I’ll probably just continue to use Sunset in future, unless all is calm (rare).

Nick Heath

Thks Paul. Unfortunately, I did not see your message before I went to Gambier on Wed (yesterday).  However, all went well, thankfully.

Paul Geddes

Depending on the date I could be available to go as a helper. Paul Geddes pg.wv@telus.net

Can’t you launch at the Sunset or Lions Bay Marina?

Admin

Apologies to Nick — he posted this a couple days ago and the notification didn’t go out til Wednesday. Working on the email notification issue.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.