Volunteer for the Waterways Liveaboard Homeless Survey

• Creator
    Topic
    Admin
    Keymaster
    On Wednesday, March 8, The Metro Vancouver Homeless Count will take a snapshot of homelessness throughout our region. For the first time, this year’s count will assess ‘Liveaboard’ homelessness.
    Teams of volunteers in marked powerboats will travel the waterways of our regions to search out, meet and interview ‘Liveaboards’ and complete a survey questionnaire. More details are below.
    Eric Schwartz, a former SKABC member and the Homeless Count Waterways Survey Coordinator for 2017, is reaching out to our club and other Boating groups in Metro Vancouver asking for volunteers to conduct the survey.
    To become a volunteer or to receive more information, please contact Eric at C.604.724.7589 or by email at schwartz.eric.lewis@gmail.com
    Details:
    If you would like to volunteer for the Waterways Survey, you must be:
    ● 19 years of age or older
    ● available Wednesday, March 8 for a four­hour shift
    ● can attend a 2­hour evening training session in mid­February
    ● have excellent on­water experience
    ● are comfortable traveling in small open powerboats, wearing a survival suit
    or own a drysuit and non­inflatable PFD
    ● can handle early Spring weather and water conditions
    ● are up to the challenge of searching out, meeting and interviewing the Liveaboard population

The Metro Vancouver Homeless Count provides critical information on our region’s homeless population. Service providers, planners, community groups, health authorities, municipalities, and funders use information from the Homeless Counts to assist in policy development, planning, and prioritizing programs and services to address the needs of people who are homeless.
    To volunteer or with further questions, contact Eric at C.604.724.7589 or by email at schwartz.eric.lewis@gmail.com
Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

I’ve spoken to Eric and have volunteered the use of my old skiff.  I’d be happy if some other SKABC members would join me.  I’m  more nervous about any non-kayaking volunteers aboard being unprepared clothing-wise and/or feeling scared when bobbing along through a few waves.  It sounds like this will be Vancouver or N Shore and likely early morning, starting at first light, for a just few hours.

Nick

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.