Used kayaks advice

• Creator
    Topic
    Alecia Lannan

Hi All,

I’m looking to purchase my first sea touring kayak (used) but I’m struggling as I haven’t tried very many boats. I’m mostly familiar with the Deltas and love them but they certainly aren’t the cheapest out there. I’m 5’4″, 130 lbs and reasonably fit though my paddling experience is limited. Not enough opportunity without your own boat!

These are my current options and all look to be in good condition. I’ve included all the gear I would need to purchase in the price.

• Delta 17 – $2700
    • Necky looksha elite – $3000
    • Current designs Storm GT – $1850
    • Seaward Infinity 15.5 – $1975

Thanks in advance for the advice! And if you know of anyone wanting to sell a good boat let me know.

Alecia

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Yekaterina Yushmanova

Hi Alicia,

Current Designs boat is for medium/large paddle – it will be too big and heavy for you. Look for boats that are designed for smaller/medium size paddler.

Seaward infinity is more of day trip boat, 15′ is not a great boat for overnight trips. Also the reviews are not great for this boat.

Katya

Allan Edwin

Many, many discussions out there revolve around on-the-water handling and performance. I offer these considerations often left out:

(1) A lighter boat is better. If you want to get the most out of your boat, moving it around by yourself has to be easy as you can make it. That includes on/off your vehicle, carry to/from shore, and getting in/out of storage. You will use your boat a LOT more if all of these off-the-water activities are not a pain.

(2) Find a boat that works with your body mechanics. Finding a seat and cockpit that are comfortable is critical, but just the beginning. Is everything easily within reach when you’re settled in your cockpit? Can you flip your rudder up and down easily without having to learn a new yoga pose so you can twist to reach your lines? Does the boat respond when you sweep or draw, or do you feel like you need to be 4 inches taller to make that work?

These are things that trying out a lot of boats will give you some insight to.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.