skabc needs more trips

• Creator
    Topic
    Maureen Benzon
    Participant

I agree wholeheartedly with Randy’s final remark in the previous post. We need more trips.

While I will not be part of the Belize crew, I would like to take this opportunity (I am an opportunist) and ask anyone that would be willing to coordinate or lead a day or weekend trip next year to contact me. We need just 6 to 8 people and could meet at a convenient pub and put together a program for next year and make Bruce’s life a little easier.

If you would like to find out more about volunteering, let Sue know you will be at the volunteer dinner and chat to other members there.

Please contact Bruce directly about longer trips.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gaila Eddie

Sounds fantastic to me, more options, more adaptability (sliding).  It would also be great to have mid-week options for those of us who work schedule is variable and have week days off.

Maureen Benzon

Thanks to those who jumped in and emailed me. We will have a meeting in January to set up a schedule.

What I would really like is to schedule a day paddle every weekend from May to September – 5 months of summer = 20 weeks. Venue and distance would depend upon the individual leader, but most should  be “all levels” (B2 – must be comfortable with a wet exit and re-entry and able to paddle for 2 to 3 hours). If we have multiple paddles out of the same venue, it does not matter. If a paddle has to be cancelled (or slid) it would not impact the schedule.

Please give this some thought. There are many members with lots of experience and knowledge to share with newer members. Social paddles are the best way to connect with other paddlers, and find your true tripping buddies.

Reed Clarke

Couple of thoughts here. Hey, it’s a miserable, wet day. I’ve been out once, which was more than enough. So, I may as well hunker down over the keyboard.

Sliding. Nope, not suggesting taking kayaks to a water theme park. Talking about sliding outings from one day to the next or week to week. Karin has done it with the Harrison River trip. Why not make this more of an option?

We only have a certain number of day-outings available. The weather isn’t always going to cooperate. So, if the leader is willing, why not move weathered-out day trips to another day and post a notice in the forums? This may lose a few participants who aren’t available on the new date, but it could gain a few who are.

One night stands. Saturday night fever. Camps with a big glittering globe hanging from the tree and a light show? No, I’m talking about weekend camps. By my count, it looks like we did exactly one of those this year. Is this because no one wants to boogie on Saturday nights? I can’t believe all the working poor in the club would rather sit inside watching Star Trek re-runs than getting out for a camp under the stars.

Alouette Lake, Pitt Lake, Indian Arm, Howe Sound, Sechelt Inlet, lower Jervis Inlet and the Gulf Islands, all have weekend camping opportunities. And, again, if the weather isn’t cooperating on the designated weekend, slide it over to the next one. Seems to me, there should be any number of people wanting to do this kind of outing as a stepping stone to bigger trips.

Okay, that’s my rainy-day two bits worth.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.