Short boat question

• Creator
    Topic
    Joe Dupuis

Hypothetically, say you bought a 14.6′ kayak in a hurry because everything else was sold out and then notice the boat was shorter than you thought.  Would you take this boat on a 3 to 5 days trip if it was your only boat? Let’s say that this boat was a Eddyline Sitka LT for example.

What about surf?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Joe Dupuis

Asking for a friend, eh? 🙂

Yeah, “a friend” 😂

Thank you all! I might need to rent a boat for a course I am taking in September (they told me I should or I might not be able to follow the group), but I’ll push and see where this one can take me for the rest of the summer.

George Prevost

I agree with everything Maureen and Katya have said.  There isn’t much else to add.

Yekaterina Yushmanova

Asking for a friend, eh? 🙂

You will have to pack like a backpacker for 5 days and if you need to bring a lot of water it can be challenging. You will be slower than your friends in 17′ boats, so choose your friends wisely and also get them to carry some of your stuff!

If you are planning coastal travel really do your research, as typically 17’+ boats are recommended for that but I don’t know the exact rationale for the number. My boat is 16′ right now and it is great.

Maureen Benzon

The commonsense answer:

If you have already bought the boat, get out and test it, and test pack what you need for 3 to 5 days. The reviews for the eddyline Sitka are good, and it is a nice looking little boat, but I know that some outfitters think that anything under 16′ is just too small. But they like to take lots of stuff. If you are a minimalist you can probably do it.

If you have not yet bought it, a 14′ 6″ boat is probably a bit slower than an 18′ boat, and you may not be able to keep up with the group, but if it is a leisurely paddle this might not be an issue. This of course is dependent upon your technique and fitness level, and that of the group.

As for surf, shorter is better, but if you have no experience landing in the surf, the boat you are in will not make that much difference.

Unfortunately, there is no easy answer.

At the very least it will be a fun day paddling or overnight boat, and if there is nothing else available…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.