Season End Paddle

• Creator
    Topic
    Allan Edwin

Hello everyone! One day, we will look back on this strange, strange time and give thanks that we got through. Right now, our work is to figure out how to get through, while keeping safe, while looking out for each other.

One of the things that has become very clear to me is that the need to socialize is fundamental. Indeed, we have a club because people learn and laugh best together. I am very glad that we were able to hold our annual Labour Day camp-out last month. It was wonderful to see those of you who came out. It was worth the effort for me, and I feel it was the same for you as well.

With all that said, it is pretty clear that we can’t hold our annual Harrison River paddle this year. Arranging a shuttle for everyone without the Pandemic was hard enough. This year, it would be simply impossible.

However, I want to suggest we try something a little different, but still in the spirit of this annual event. Though we cannot hold a single large event, can we still find people willing to step up and coordinate (I won’t say lead) a small pod of paddlers on a day trip? It would be awful to not have any photos for the year-end montage.

Aside from next weekend (Thanksgiving), we have Oct 17/18, 24/25, and Oct 31/Nov 1. These are not official trips, but something along the lines of our short-notice buddy paddles. I know our more experienced paddlers have been going out, but we have new and beginner paddlers who surely need to get out as well.

If you are up for this, please respond here. Some ideas for day paddles:

• South Surrey: Nicomekl River to Crescent Beach
    • Alouette Lake: Boat Ramp to North Beach
    • Indian Arm: Deep Cove to Twin Islands
    • West Van: Batchelor Cove to Apodaca Park
    • Howe Sound: Porteau Cove to Islet View
    • Howe Sound: Squamish to Tantalus Landing

I would take a pod out myself, but I am not in the Lower Mainland anymore. If there’s anyone between Nanaimo and Campbell River who wants to do a day paddle out to Tent Island, let me know!

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

I have no way of saying how secure one’s bikes would be at Kilby. Probably better than most parts of Greater Vancouver, but bikes seem to cry out ‘steal me’ despite our best precautions…There are posts and fences to attach cables to. There are usually campers there who might be willing to keep an eye open, too.

Jonathan Stewart

Hi, Nick. The Harrison River trip sounds like a good adventure. Is there a secure spot to lock up bikes at Kilby?

Jonathan Stewart

Allan Edwin

Wonderful gentlemen. Nick’s idea for the Harrison run sounds very intriguing! Randy, I have paddled to Gerald Island (where BCMT is busy this week removing English Ivy) and around the Ballenas Islands. I would like to see the Winchelseas. Let me know what dates you’re looking at.

Denman is on my schedule for this coming weekend.

Whatever plans are cooked up, I hope more people are willing to come aboard, as it were.

Randy Chatterjee

Did someone say Tent Island?  Or Chrome Island + Denman, or the Winchelseas.  For a chance to paddle with Allan, on this side of the pond, I’m in.  It could even be an overnighter to Tent (aka Sandy Island).

And if the weather provides a window this Thanksgiving weekend , some of us mid-Islanders are  going to hit Spider Lake for the last marginally warm water paddling and rolling we may see until spring (unless swimming pools re-open, and this seems unlikely).  Sunday’s current forecast looks the better of the three days, but we are keeping all days open for now.  We plan to bring tarps and hold a safe outdoor full turkey & trimmings potluck after the paddle.

Clark Perry-Bater

Thinking about it … I’ll get back to you.

Nick Heath

Well here’s my take on the above…

I’m willing to lead a Harrison R trip (official or unofficial) on Sun 18 Oct. However, there will  be no carpooling for the shuttle unless there are those who can share rides with others from within their domestic ‘bubbles’. We’ll keep our distance…

Instead, it involves we hardy paddlers cycling back to Harrison Hot Springs from the take-out at Kilby. You must be willing to lock up and leave at Kilby (on the way to the launch site) a bike that is serviceable, but not too attractive to thieves. Your bike(s) must sit in or on your car as well as your kayak(s).

After the paddle, just unlock your bike and cycle with me 22 km. Google  promises that this takes 1 hr 11 min!   About half of this distance is unfortunately along busy Highway 7, over the big hill at Mt Woodside which rises 104 m, but other parts are quite level and are on attractive, smaller roads.

This is usually a fairly easy, even leisurely paddle. However, because of the bike ride, we would need to start and finish early so that darkness does not complicate matters.

I’d limit the trip to about 8 max. If there were a couple that were willing to drive 2 cars and complete the shuttle by vehicle instead of by bike, they might offer backup for unforeseen cycling mishaps or breakdowns.

I  ran this route several times many year ago, but have not actually cycled it. Perhaps I’m spouting baloney?

If not, is there interest?

Spawning salmon and other wildlife are commonly seen, and, as many members will confirm, it is a lovely trip in Fall.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.