pitt lake and Coquitlam lake

• Creator
    Topic
    Sandra Waddle
    Participant

Hi! I am thinking of doing a a 3 day kayak camping trip with a friend. We are looking at Pitt Lake as it looks like it is has campsites and may be a nice paddle. Has anyone done this trip?

Also, does Coquitlam Lake have camping? It does not look like it from the marine trails website but thought I would check.

Happy paddling,

Sandra

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Sandra Waddle

Thanks everyone!

Nick Heath

Hi Sandra,

I’ve paddled Pitt Lk several times. There’s stuff to watch out for incl: possible high winds, moderately heavy power boat use, extensive shoals on W shores (passable at HW), tidal movement and, in Springtime, high water levels – meaning smaller camp  areas. Good info on BCMT website (but I am biased…). All the safety conditions for ocean paddling apply here, except the water is considerably colder than our ocean. Bears are likely to be active, especially at the main boater site, Raven Ck.

No paddling or access to Coq Lk.

Cameron Redenbach

Hi Sandra

I have paddled Pitt lake a number of times and it’s a great place. As with any long lake it can have high winds which seems the normal. As well Pitt lake is one of the largest tidal lakes so current is present at the mouth of Pitt river

Checked 2 weeks ago and the water was way down so tide makes a huge difference visiting the Marsh area. Compared to last year the water was so high it was amazing

But my only warning is power boaters if you are not going into the marsh. I unfortunately have little respect for cabin owners and power boaters in that area. Had a very negative experience with power boaters stopping at landings to letting dogs pee and poop off leash. And having to chase dogs away from doing this on the corners of the tent just no morals.
    As well many of the marine parks are littered with trash from power boaters. But we did see a poor parks operator doing maintenance and cleaning up litter.

But a amazing area if the water is really high and you can explore all of the marsh

Clark Perry-Bater

One more thing – I think Pitt Lake is subject to strong winds (like Indian Arm), due to topography and thermal circulation on a sunny day. Just a heads up.

Clark Perry-Bater

Hi Sandra, as far as I know, Coquitlam Lake, as part of the Greater Vancouver watershed, is off limits to paddlers or any other people.  I think there are locked gates, etc. barring access to the lake and surrounding hills. I’ve never paddled past the narrows at the south end of Pitt Lake, so I can’t help you there.   -Clark

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.