- This topic has 0 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 6 years, 1 month ago by .
Mike contacted us with details of the following course. Please contact Mike directly. This course is not part of the training offered by skabc.
For those interested in taking their Paddle Canada Level 3 Skills this year, Mike Gilbert is teaching a Level 3 course Sept. 7th to 11th. It will be held in Barclay Sound and the cost will be $750.00 plus GST.
This course develops seamanship and leadership in multi-day touring. The participant in Level-3 will
- develop practical leadership, risk assessment, decision-making, judgment, group management and seamanship in the context of a multi-day journey.
- participate in a multi-day journey that includes changing conditions and varying terrain.
- develop the skills necessary to lead a small group of paddlers on an overnight journey.
- develop the skills outlined in Level-2 to a higher standard of proficiency.
Level 3 Prerequisites
Paddle Canada Level-2 Skills certification or equivalent skill and knowledge
Extended trips of 2 or more days totaling 10 overnights
Wilderness first aid (16 hours) with CPR is strongly recommended
VHF radio operator’s license is recommended
Bronze Medallion swimming and lifesaving (or equivalent) is recommended
Course Length 4 days with an excursion that includes 2 or more adjacent overnights
Location Exposed coastline with frequent landing opportunities
Conditions Winds moderate (12–19 knots)Surf near 1 metre
Current < 3 knots
Combined sea state near 1 metre with a moderate, occasionally rough sea state
<br data-text=”true” />
Let Mike know if you have any questions or wish to register. Space is very limited so jump on it if you have any interest.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.