- This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by .
Missed last week so the quiz goes from weekly to bi-weekly.
This quiz is all about tides. A few questions; Some definitions; a rule (or two); a couple of problems to solve. Have fun and enjoy.
1. Questions: See if you know what the following mean without looking them up – and then look them up!
a. What two bodies exert the greatest influence on the vertical movement of our oceans and seas?
b. Explain why tides move ahead (for the time they occur during our day) by 50 minutes every 24 hours?
c. How many different kinds of tides (cycles) may be found and explain what differentiates each?
d. Which is the most prevalent form of tidal cycle found on our west coast?
e. What is the difference between a Tsunami and a Tidal Wave?
2. Definitions: Can you define these off the top of your head?
Amphidromic Point; Apogee; Chart Datum (Canada); Drying Height; Ebb; Fathom; Flood; Higher High Water Large Tide (HHWLT); Lowest Normal Tide (LNT); Neap Tide; Perogee; Spring Tide
3. Rule of 12ths
– what is the “job” of the Rule of 12ths?
– how many equal time periods is the tidal cycle broken up into by the Rule of 12ths?
– what is the simple pattern a tide cycle models under the Rule of 12ths?
– why is it so much easier to work in feet vs centimetres for the Rule of 12ths?
– as kayakers, name 5 different practical uses for the Rule of 12ths (when would it be handy to know and use when paddling?)?
4. Problem #1: “Lunch time” – You and your group of friends land on a lovely, very wide sandy beach in order to stop for lunch. You plan on resting there for about 2 hours. You arrived at noon exactly and want to know how far to bring your kayaks up the beach so you do not have to be disturbed and move them again while enjoying the sun.
The beach has a level and continuous 7.13 degree slope to it rising up to the forest edge and some tent platforms.
The Low tide of 3 feet happened at 1000 hours so you missed scouring the lower tidal pools.
High tide is expected to reach its maximum of 9 feet at 1600 hrs. OMG! How high will the water get up the beach?
5. Problem #2: When paddling and camping overnight, what is a really good habit to get into doing with your kayak prior to going to bed? What method do you use? Can you remove a middle kayak from the group without untying the rest?
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.