Looking for advice and company to Gambier Island June 20 and 24th

• Creator
    Topic
    Gunilla Oberg
    Participant

I am going to a yoga retreat on Gambier Island June 20-24 on the southwest side of the island (see map below). I would like to paddle over and was hoping that there would be a couple of paddlers who would be interested in accompanying me over on the 20th and on the way back on the 24th. Ian might be able to join, but the retreat is all-female, so he will not be staying:)

It seems there is a lot of experience of paddling to Gambier so I’m looking for advice. Where would be the best place to park the car and to launch from? How long time would you guesstimate that it would take? It looks like it would be about 15km if one starts from Lion’s bay. Anything, in particular, to keep in mind? It doesn’t look like an advanced paddle, but I’m still learning how to plan and assess sea paddles so any advice is most welcome!! /Gunilla

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

Hi Gunilla, I’d suggest using a cart and walking on the Langdale ferry with your kayak. At the other end, roll up to the bus loop then turn sharp right into the parking lot and find the start of the beach trail immediately to the right. The trail has been improved and there is a lovely sheltered sand beach to launch off.

This would be a reliable and lower-risk way to get to where you are going. The crossing to Gambier is 1 NM. Your destination is only about 1.5 NM beyond that, from what I can tell on your map, so about 1 hr total from your launch.

Parking at HSB is the disadvantage of this route, but Lions Bay parking is as bad or worse and a much longer and more serious paddle.

I don’t recommend that you paddle alone, but if this is something you are used to doing and you take all the standard precautions, it is what I’d do without hesitation.

Gunilla Oberg

Thanks Sandra, I was thinking of driving up to Lion’s bay and go from there. I will not go unless I find someone to accompany me/Gunilla

Sandra Waddle

Would you be paddling from the Vancouver side? I parked at porteau once and paddled across via anvil. We left very early to avoid wind. The waves can get big even after 10-11. It’s a lovely paddle!

I’m an intermediate paddler with paddle canada 2, and I would not do that crossing alone. I brought a radio and wore immersion gear. The winds can pick up fast so best to be prepared.

if I was paddling alone I’d consider ferrying to langdale and kayaking from there. It’s a shorter crossing and still lovely.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.