Interest in a Thormanby Island Trip?

• Creator
    Topic
    Nick Jones

Hey Fellow Paddlers …

I am thinking of organizing a 4 day, 3 night trip to Thormanby Island in August and wanted to see if there is any interest.

Send me a note to nick@jones.ca

Nick

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Sarka Lhotak

I would be interested more in the Nick Heath’s type of trip. I’ve just been to Thormanby, camped in Buccaneer bay. It must be a zoo there in summer. I was lucky to have two very nice young  couples camping there with me and Katya who arrived in the evening. And next day the wind was strong and no visitors or bathers came but I was wind-bound as well. I started from Buccaneer marina which was very friendly, peaceful and reasonably priced.

At this point I am also unclear about my August dates but I am usually flexible.

Sarka

Nick Heath

I’ve been thinking of posting a Thormanby trip, too, but mine might have a different agenda from yours, Nick. I’m keen to check in some depth (‘site assessment’) each likely camping location in Simson Park and not to camp at Buccaneer Bay/Grassy Point along with all the rowdies. I’ve camped at Farm Bay a couple of times and it is nice enough, but folks suggest that Long Bay is even nicer so I’d like to try it out.  There are 2 other sites too, on the E shore. Also I’d like to do some hiking or see how bushed in the old roads/trails have become. I feel that Simson gets neglected by BC Parks and I want to know if my hunch is correct or not. (Basically if it doesn’t have a road, a dock or a sand beach they tend to rarely/never visit). I’ve lobbied BC P without success to put some infrastructure (i.e. toilet) into one of the Simson sites, partly to divert people (paddlers) from Buccaneer Bay. Also  BC P arbitrarily closed the camping at Smuggler Cove about 2 years ago without saying anything, so area capacity is now reduced further. This island is great and deserves more paddler visits!  Of course, other day trips should also involve paddling around the islands, visiting Surrey Its and Smuggler Cv and maybe Secret Cv. I’ve launched from Brooks Rd and from Coopers Green and both are good. Technically, there is no overnight parking at Coopers Green, but I did not have any problem on the one occasion when I parked there for about 5 nights. I’m unclear about what dates I am free in Aug.

Kallie Cunningham

Hi Nick,

I haven’t been out for at least a year given COVID. This would be a great “re-entry” trip and I’d love to join.  Timing will matter due to work commitments. Let me know your plans/potential dates and I will look into whether it will work for me.

My last trip there I broke a rib, when packing up last day on one of Rick’s courses – long story.  I  am not used to this forum.  My email and phone details if I do not reply are:  kcunningham.unsw@gmail.com  and 604 619 3016.

Hope you and the family are safe, healthy and staying “cool”.

Kallie

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.