Horseshoe Bay Long term parking

• Creator
    Topic
    Gary Christensen
    Participant

Good Day! I apologize if this is a less than intelligent question, but I can’t get an answer via telephone, with BC ferries. I am planning a 5 night kayak trip on Howe sound in June. I am planning on leaving my truck and kayak trailer at Horseshoe Bay, walk on with kayak to Langdale and go from there. Can I safely leave my truck and trailer at Horseshoe for 5 days?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gary Christensen

Thanks for the tips. I have reached out to Sunset Marina.

Nick Heath

Here are the options as I see them:

Trailers accepted at Sunset Marina – coat for vehicle and trailer somewhere around $30 /day. Easy launch. Phone for info. Might be full.

Trailers probably not accepted (as far as I know) at BC Ferries or nearby street level parking and as Quirine says, costs $20/day for a vehicle so maybe both for $40/day? Bit awkward to launch in the bay – there is a private launch but it has no parking. The public beach is next to a public park and means carrying up/down the bank or launching off the public float at the end of a long dock. Parking is killer even while unloading/loading.

Gordon mention the old section of Hwy 99, by-passed by a newer section of road. This is free but hence it is scarce and spaces are only likely if you arrive mid-week at some early hour and I would not expect to be able to also find any space for a trailer.

Lastly there is the Lions Club ‘overflow parking lot” on Marine Drive, also used as a park-and -ride for commuters weekdays. Not suited to a trailer, but you could ask in advance. They are not staffed/ taking payments until Easter. They have usually charged $30 for a vehicle for 3 days Fri/Sat/Sun. Otherwise free. It’s a 10 min walk from the public beach.

I’m unclear why you would choose to bring a trailer – do you have more than a full roof load of 3 kayaks to transport?

Quirine Schuyff

Having just come back from parking at Horseshoe Bay ($20/day) and walking on to Langdale, I found out it would have been cheaper to actually drive on and park on the Langdale side. Also, I bought an experience card which gets you a discount. Next time that is what I will do. Not sure if a trailer changes the charges but worth checking out.

Gary Christensen

Gordon: Thanks for the heads up!

Gordon Squire

Hi Gary,

I  Iive in that area & drive by the free pkg on the H’bay hwy. Several trailers left over weekends- never heard of any damage/ problems but that doesn’t mean all is perfect. Advise you to drive over beforehand to check out. Always crowded/full so need to pick time advantageously!

Gordon

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.