- This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years, 6 months ago by .
I’m an intermediate-class paddler planning a two-night kayak camping trip for two people into the southern Gulf Islands this August. I’m hoping I can ask the membership for some advice regarding my planning.
DAY ONE: We will be heading out from Bennett Bay SE proceeding along either the windward side of Samuel Island (or the lee of Belle Chain Islets), and Saturna. Entry through Boat Pass to camp overnight at Winter Cove.
DAY TWO: Not yet set. I’m thinking about camping at another location on Saturna, or proceeding NW to St Johns Point, and along the W side of Mayne, hoping to camp there, or crossing Navy Channel near Conconi Reef to camp somewhere along the NE or NW shores of N. Pender.
We’re sandwiching this between two nights at a Mayne Isl. B&B (reservations in hand).
My questions are:
1. Can anyone recommend or identify a shoreline campground either the W/SW side of Saturna, W/SW side of Mayne, or NW/N/NE side of N.Pender for my second night ? I’m not having much luck finding one via map research.
2. My tandem is a VCS Aleut II, so ample room. Can anyone point me to the mandatory safety equipment requirements for paddling in Canadian waters ?
3. Calls to BC Ferries regarding reservations to Miners Bay in August have been met with ‘not yet’. But they can’t tell me when they *will* take reservations. Does anyone know approximately when these start to become available ?
Many thanks in advance for any and all information offered.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.