Fibreglass Gel Coat Repair

• Creator
    Topic
    Jim Govett
    Participant

My kayak (Current Designs Prana) suffered a couple of small areas of damage to the gel coat this summer. There are two spots about a half inch in diameter along the keel at the bow end (bounced on rocks).  Can anybody recommend the best place to get them repaired?  I am in the Tri-Cities area of Vancouver.

Thanks

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jim Govett

Thanks for your suggestion Bob.  I ended up taking it to John at Coast Outdoors in North Vancouver.  He did an amazing job, and the cost was very reasonable.  If others are in need of fibreglass repairs, I would recommend him highly.

Bob Maher

Hi Jim,

I have a kevlar kayak and over the last few years I have managed to put a few good dings into the Gel Coat but I couldn’t find any Gel Coat touch Up kits. I was in a Michaels Craft Store in either Langley or Surrey and bought a 2 oz bottle of “Craft Smart Outdoor Acrylic Paint”. There are many colours to select from and it has worked. I clean the area with alcohol and put three thin coats onto the damaged area. It is not as good as Gel Coat but so far it has worked well.

Hoped this helps.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.