Expired flares disposal

• Creator
    Topic
    Heather Kirk
    Participant

I finally found out where to take expired flares. I decided to ask the local RCMP and found out that, yes, they take them and so does the Fire Dept. I was also told that there’s a Marine Safety facility in Delta that accepts them. I’m not sure about the VPD because I live tin the burbs.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Cameron Redenbach

just wanted to update this thread with some other options

Admin

Kathy to answer your question about the forum, the reply only reaches people who subscribed to this “topic”.

:-)Susan

Kathy Romses

I called the North Vancouver fire department and they don’t take them. I also called the North Vancouver RCMP office and they also don’t take them.

I was given the contact information for DSS Protection (formerly Fitz Wright Disposal). It costs them $7 to dispose of the flares. If you buy one, you can dispose of 1 for no extra cost. 778-785-7848. 1850 Hartley Avenue, Coquitlam, Unit 4.

Does this reply reach all members?

Heather Kirk

Hi Randy,

I contacted my local S&R and got this response:

Good afternoon Heather,

Thank you for your kind offer of the flares.

Unfortunately our safety protocols dictate that we cannot utilize expired equipment.

Thank you again for contacting search and rescue and your consideration.

Heather Kirk

Hi Henry,

Over the years we have a few presentations by the Coast Guard and we have been warned that shooting flares off when it’s not an emergency can get you in a lot of trouble, for good reason. I would like to find a proper, reliable solution that all club members can use now that the Coast Guard doesn’t take them anymore. Coast Guard (rightly) commands us to buy and carry flares but then doesn’t provide us with an easy way to get rid of them. It’s a conundrum. The RCMP in Maple Ridge, where I live, will take them and they said that the fire department also does but I heard from another club member that when she asked at the N Van Fire Dept, they wouldn’t take them. I’m going to go to my local fire dept and check.

I also checked with the local Search and Rescue, as Randy Chatterjee suggested, and their reply was that training protocols prohibit the use of expired supplies. I will post this again with Randy’s response.

Admin

Henry Grayman says:

Hi Heather, I dispose expired flares on Canada Day. They are no different than the fireworks that are being ignited.

Admin

Randy Chatterjee says:

The other great outlet for expired safety gear is your local Search and Rescue team.  They train on safe flare use every year and prefer to use expired ones

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.