Camping Hammocks – anyone have any experience using camping hammocks?

• Creator
    Topic
    Mark Stoakes
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has had experience using camping hammocks and if they have what type and any comments. Thanks

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Catherine Ostler

I love my Hennessy Ultra-lite Asym hammock in summer for a much more comfortable sleep than being on the ground. I use an insulating pad, but even with that it’s a bit too cold for comfort for me under 12 degrees C. Only one person can fit in the hammock, which is another drawback if you want to snuggle up with a partner.

Cameron Redenbach

Just my .02

I originally purchased one of the original Hennesy hammock with Velcro entrance on the bottom.
    Unfortunately I took it on one of the longest trips I ever went on for 2 weeks. And quickly discovered many of the down sides of the design. Over all it was that I froze my butt off almost every night. For myself I found that it was more designed for a warmer climate that did not require a lot of extra quilts or pads. And I sold it and now I have a lightweight hammock for summer lounging.

some of the issues:
    -required better attachment to trees, upgraded aftermarket buckles or clips
    -requires completely independent fly ridge line
    -larger fly with protection from wind
    -side zippers that eventually happened
    -place for gear and boots

For me the fly was a large issue and I discovered from forums and YouTube videos. The issue was rope sag on the main hammock line which the fly attached. Which independent attaching to a separate ridge line kept it tight. And stop flapping and better protection from wind. These days a lot more aftermarket options are available in regards hammock pads, under quilts, over quilts. Multiple companies offer hammock specific tarps that solve a lot of options.

The best I can suggest is to hit YouTube shugemery is channel name. He has done a lot of newbie hammock videos and FAQ. As well multiple different designs hang types etc. Highly recommended.
    With that info in hand you can determine the extra gear required on top of the hammock purchase. And make your decision if the cost is worth you giving it a go.
    If you have any further questions drop me a email

Mick Allen

I would concur with the previous comments [use both], but found with practice that an inside thermorest was viable over time altho not perfectly stable – I do have to adjust. I have also used excess clothing/coats and traded thermorest with wetsuit to reasonably good effect. Extra tarps for ground/privacy/wind/and extra driven rain protection are very useful,  gear ‘storage’ is under the hammock – but not great.

I have an old hennessy camo safari [it’s quite large] . . .. and there is just nothing like waking up in the morning to an expansive view out the hammock while hanging over terrain that a tent would never be able to be used over.  It’s an adventure walking thru the forest and having all sorts of different and undeveloped locations that can now be used rather than requiring flattish smoothish ground.  I was sold on this aspect the first time I used it on a slope near the top of a small cliff – I can still remember the scene out the expansive netting, waking up in the morning after setting up in the dark. Glorious.

Nick Heath

I have a good bought hammock – Hennessy Expedition – has a fly and bug net plus super-easy entry –  and I use it occasionally. It is easy to use and comfortable.  Advantages: 1) greatly increases possible camp locations on BC coast with our abundant trees 2) slightly  smaller package than a 1-2 person tent after adding in the tree straps and rigging.

Disadvantages: 1) needs an insulation pad underneath or you will be cold – a thermarest inside won’t work because it just rides up on top of you unless you can somehow tie it down 2) no place to put much gear – mine has small pockets along the ridge for a watch, phone, headlamp/flashlight etc but most of your stuff has to sit outside or in a separate pack, even your water bottle – anything else inside will migrate to beneath your butt. 3) in pouring rain it is harder than my tent to enter without getting anything wet inside – but this is comparing the hammock with a tent that has a large vestibule – sort of unfair. 4) limited to one occupant.

I know 2 women who paddled a couple of years ago from Salt Spring I to Glacier Bay AK. They used hammocks almost exclusively and this made their expedition much more practical – very little brushing, site levelling or clearing etc is needed each night, just a couple of well-spaced trees.

I’m surprised that they are not more popular, but they do take some getting used to.

Mike Gilbert

Hi Mark.

I use a hammock more as a back up / bivvy alternative to my regular 2 person Hubba Hubba.  The hammock I use is the Hennesy Hammock.  It is very good for quality, durability, simplicity and compactness.  Main considerations I have found with using them are: is there somewhere to hang them (normally, yes, but when in the trees there are a few more bugs and less sunlight); dry storage & privacy (good idea to bring along another tarp or 2); and you can still use a blow up mattress to lie you sleeping bag on for insulation and some positional rigidity.

Susan Jensen

Hi, yes our family uses them. Made from thin nylon. Important to have an underblanket (attached on the outside of the hammock) even in summer. The sleeping bag gets so compressed that it doesn’t keep you warm. A bug net is good too. I personally would rather be in a tent but my husband and sons like using hammocks — gives you more options for where to set up camp.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.