Broughton Archipelago

• Creator
    Topic
    Svetozar Tzonkov

Hello everyone,

1. I am planning a trip for the last week of August, 5 days / 4 Nights with two friends and I to the Broughtons. I have read a bunch of blogs online as well as the “Wild coast 3” book by John Kimantas, which is an amazing source of information. We plan to launch our Kayaks at Telegraph Cove, camp on Flower, Cedar/Owl and Hanson Island. I was wondering if anyone has been an this area and would share some personal experiences and recommendations regarding the place.

2. I have been paddling for the past 4 years and have been on a multi day trips before at the Southern Gulf Islands and Broken Group. I am comfortable with wet exits and rescues and have done a introductory course with wet exit. I would love to learn how to do the roll and was wondering if I could hire or join someone in a pool/open water to help/guide me.

Thank you very much in advance!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Svetozar Tzonkov

Thank you all again for the recommendations and tips. We just came back, couple of days early because the weather didn’t look too good for the last two days planned, but we had a great time!

Here is the video of the trip I put together.

Svetozar Tzonkov

Hi Bob,

Thank you for sending Mike’s details and likewise I would also like to practice together after I complete my training

Thanks

Svetozar

Svetozar Tzonkov

Hi Sarka,

Very valuable information, Thank you very much!

Regards

Svetozar

Sarka Lhotak

Hi Svetozor,

I just came back from the Broughton’s.

Challenging part there is to get across the Johnstone strait ( 4-5 km crossing) as it is often windy with waves. The next challenge is to get through either Blackney passage or Weynton passage which have dangerous rips and whirpools.

We did the Wheynton passage going back to Telegraph cove at the low tide slack (Alert bay), it was not too bad but hard work to go against a strong current and somewhat disconcerting as whirlpools suddenly emerge in front of your kayak. On the way north we started from Kaikash creek at the lowest tide, so got to Blackney passage about an hour after low tide slack. There was a current there and eddies but managable.

Add to that a possibility of a cruise ship going through these passages (mostly Blackney, moving slowly, smaller wake) but also straight down Johnstone strait at high speed creating a very large breaking wave. You can listen to the shipping traffic on Channel 71 to know if a big ship is coming.

To avoid all this you can take a water taxi at Telegraph cove to get over the Johnston strait and the passages.

There are lots of commercial groups paddling there so be prepared to share a campsite. Kaikash creek is a large campsite with orcas parading there every evening.  There was a humpback there as well plus lots of humpbacks in Queen CHarlotte strait.

Hope this helps,

Sarka

Bob Meraw

Mike Gilbert is an excellent trainer and can be contacted through the club member list. After your training I would be quite happy to go out and practice. My schedule varies all of the time so I can be contacted through my email rmeraw@gmail.com or text at 604-417-8873.

Svetozar Tzonkov

Thank you Harley, I’ll be contacting Dave.

Harley Cross

Would be awesome if someone was willing to put on a rolling clinic 🙂 I would sign up

failing that, Dave at http://www.kayakcourses.ca/

does lessons.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.