Apodaca camping

• Creator
    Topic
    David Ray

What is the current camping situation at Apodaca? I’m not intending on camping there, but doing a big solo of the Sound and documenting emergency overnight locations. Is there a safe place to bring up the kayak? Some relatively flat areas above high tide to pitch a tent? Thanks kindly. The BC Marine Trail states the following:

Camp Comments
    Undeveloped. Park Master Plan recognizes occasional camping use, with intent to develop 6 tent sites. Several suitably level mossy benches high above beach. New access trail (2021) up steep bank near creek steers users away from sensitive bluffs.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    David Ray

Thank also, Nick for the offer of additional information. Will probably follow up with you on that. Several times a year I do multi-day trips into the Sd from Squamish and nice to have landing options when the forecast and the weather don’t jibe. Cheers. Dave

David Ray

Thanks Nick and everyone for the great feedback and pics. I will of course do as you suggest if I end up there. Hopefully it becomes official at some point. Such a great and useful spot for kayak camping. Dave

Nick Heath

There is no problem with landing a kayak and finding a place to camp, but please no fires and avoid the bluff area – just stick to the area near the top of the access trail. The site in not (yet) an official campsite but that process is in the works and then SKABC will build 4 tent platforms, and Bc PArks will put in a toilet, all assuming that the neighbouring 3 First Nations (site co-managers with BC Parks,  effectively) have no objection. Fingers crossed!

More or less all potential sites in Howe Sd have been scoped by BCMT. The more marginal of these or those on private land are not displayed publicly on the BCMT map, but are on a restricted ‘Planning Layer’.  I could talk with you about your plan and maybe save you some of the grind, especially concerning the finding ownership status of some sites, which can be hard to figure out. My number is in the SKABC member directory.

If you keen to check sites in other areas, this could be of great assistance!

Cameron Redenbach
    Cameron Redenbach

Hey David

Basically as it stands to my knowledge Nick and the club have constructed a trail to the upper headlands.

Lots of open beach and area to bring a kayak up out of the high tide line. Last time I had visited Nick had created a raised log platform to store boats but again not necessarily required.

Once you walk up the path you have multiple areas to place a tent. Further back in the protected trees or closer to exposed ocean views.
    I will have to see if I can find some of the google photos posted of previous trips

Darlene Heath

Hi David,

Nick is kayaking and will return Friday or Saturday.  He will be in touch then if you need more info. Thank you.

David Ray

Thanks Cameron. I’ve been on the Marine Trail map site and have all that information. I pasted the Camp Comments in my post above. I’m aware there is an intent to have a kayak landing and tent pads there and that there is a plan on paper. I’m just wondering as to the “current” status of a kayak landing and tent sites. Thanks again for your time!

Cameron Redenbach

You can find some photos on google maps

Apodaca Provincial Park
    (604) 200-2399
    https://goo.gl/maps/nErZStB85iEfNW6u8

I was going to say check out https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/map/

but the link doesn’t directly go to the description

Site has changed and requires paid subscription for the site photos. Well worth the money as it’s a great site with great info. Thanks Nick and all the team

Map

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.