Reply To: Texada to Jedediah

Heather Harbord

I live in Powell River and wrote an out of print sea kayak guide book to the area. On Tues, I’m driving to the Shingle Beach campsite (google it for directions) to car camp Tues and Wed night.  I’m driving a blue Subaru Outback Licence 575-KPG and not taking a boat.  Many people leave their vehicles at Shingle Beach parked just up from the beach while they cross to Jedediah. You might want to check in with the on-site caretaker. Camping fees are $15/night. I don’t know if there is a cost for parking but I’ll inquire and report back on this forum.

Make sure you have a VHF or weather radio for weather forecasts. Watch out for Qualicum winds which are strong in Sabine Channel. I have found it best to cross either early in the morning or in the evening when, most of the time, the winds are down. There’s nowhere to land at Partington Point (4 nautical miles south of Shingle Beach) and the Cook Bay cottagers have a reputation for being hostile. Further south there is a good camp spot on a little peninsula (before Napier Creek.)   Bring water or get it at Napier Creek.

The crossing to Jedediah from Partington Point is 1.1 nautical miles.  In the evening watch for cruise ships which come up on you very quickly and leave a huge wash.

Boom Bay dries to sticky mud so I wouldn’t camp there. We arrived at high tide which was fine but had to leave on low tide which was not.  Instead, continue round the western coast of Jedediah, pass the entrance to Long Bay and camp in one of the next two small inlets. I can’t remember which is the best one but it has a steeply sloping rocky beach at low tide so no mud and minimal hauling of gear. Lots of grassy tent space.  Trails will lead you over to Long Bay (5 mins)and Home Bay (20 mins approx.) where the rest of the mob are camping and anchoring.