Reply To: Water, water everywhere; nowhere to keep my kayak

Chantal Ethier

Hi Pam,

I live in a condo in Surrey; I’m the president of my strata.  A couple of years ago we were reviewing our by-laws and making amendments as to what was permitted in the parking spaces.  We included a clause that allows council to make decisions on a case by case basis.  I submitted a request to hang my kayak, on the wall of my two parking stalls.  I included pictures of what the setup would look like, as well I committed to keeping the space tidy and clean and I made sure it didn’t interfere with the neighbouring stalls.  Our property manager at the time insisted that she had never seen a kayak in the parkade of a condo, I responded that there is a first time for everything 🙂

We have since had several fire inspections and we’ve never had any issues with the inspectors with regards to the kayak.  I recently submitted a request to hang a second kayak which has been approved.  In truth I do a lot for our condo and it is possible it influenced the council’s decisions, I’ve also strived to train council members and property managers to think outside the box and challenge the status quo as long as it’s reasonable.

I hope this helps.  Good luck