Currents Gorge Harbour – Cortes Island

• Creator
    Topic
    Stan Matier
    Participant

Does anyone have any information about current levels in the entrance to Gorge Harbour on Cortes.  I can’t find anything that says there is an an issue, but I read someone’s paddling blog that indicated the current in the little entrance way can get up to 5 knots.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,  Stan

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Heather Harbord

As for the Gorge entrance, if the paddlers are worried, paddle in on a flood, paddle out on an ebb, avoid large tides. Yes, currents can run up to 5 knots max, but there’s no big whirlpools or standing waves and I always could find back eddies to help me if padding against the flow.

Of course the waves thrown by yachts using this busy channel could be a danger while you’re paddling the inshore eddies.

Navionics has tides for Whaletown and the Gorge. Always fun to check the height difference which drives the currents at the entrance to the Gorge.

Mike Moore, former Captain of Misty Isles

I asked Mike about this question because he has lived on Cortes for several decades and is a former Navigation Officer with the Coast Guard, a commercial diver and sea kayak guide.

So, check the tide levels at Whaletown and the Gorge and plan to paddle in on the flood and out on the ebb.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.