BCMT: Gerald Island Invasive Ivy Removal

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Nick Heath.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Debra Merchant
    Participant

Join us in the fight against invasive species! BC Marine Trails is looking for passionate volunteers to help us remove English ivy on Gerald Island from April 14-17, 2023. Together, we can protect the island’s biodiversity and ensure a healthy environment for generations to come. Sign up now and let’s make a difference! Come for one day or all 4!

For those who don’t know, Gerald Island is a short, 15 minute paddle from Es_hw Sme^nts Community Park (Oak Leaf Drive Park) in Nanoose or Blueback Park (30 minute paddle). Its a great time on a beautiful island.

This is an ongoing project that we are excited to be working on in partnership with BC Parks. It is an important initiative that will have a positive impact on the health and diversity of our ecosystem, and we are grateful for the support of our volunteers in this effort. Let’s work together to make a lasting difference on Gerald Island and beyond!

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

I’ve camped at Gerald I a few times and I’d say there is enough space for 10 tents at present. (The first time I went, there were none, until we cleared enough ivy off the ground!). Camping there is very pleasant. (but I’m not saying the work is fun!)  For day trippers, the limited parking (6 cars) at Blueback Community Park, the normal launch site, might fill up, but Schooner Cove Marina is not much further away and has plenty of parking, although one probably needs to pay there. There is also Es-hw Sme-nts Community Park, where one can launch, although I haven’t actually done so. I did check it out. It might need 2 people to carry boats a short distance – wheels likely won’t work here.

The one way paddle from Blueback is only 1.5 NM, from Schooner 2.0 NM and still shorter from the other possible launch sites.

I mulling about going this year – other projects closer to home might take precedence e.g. Apodaca.

Debra Merchant

A little more about camping vs day tripping to Gerald I for ivy removal. There is limited camping available on the island and the logistics of this will be worked out as people sign-up with the intent to make it work well for everyone interested. It looks as though there may be more campers than spots but it is too soon to know. There are no facilities on Gerald.

Another option is to day trip. There is no limit to the number of day trippers! One possibility is to day trip and camp at Rathtrevor Beach (15′ drive). This has a number of advantages including a shower! Also, Parksville has lots of tourist accommodation with off season rates.

I’m happy to help coordinate. Please post to the forum or let me know if you are interested in joining.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.