Reply To: Young Pt, Lasqueti Island

Nick Heath

The BC Parks Fdn. met its target by the 30 Sept deadline so it looks like we will (eventually) get this land added to the adjacent Squitty Bay Prov Park. I had some correspondence with Andy Day, BCPF head, and he warned that camping might still be prohibited, as it is currently at Squitty Bay. He says that this is mainly as a result of the concerns of locals about the danger here of a wildfire potentially caused by campers. I can see this point, but I observed that campfires in locations such as this should not be permitted and that paddler-in campers are already quite used to such rules (e.g. Curme Is, Copeland Is etc). He says this is the main reason that camping was limited to Jedediah I, some 4 NM away from Squitty Bay and 5 NM from Young Pt.

It will be important in future to un-link kayak camping from campfires and especially from large fires recklessly set in upland locations, although in dry conditions, beach fires are almost as problematic. With the prevalent current media images of large campfires, young fun-loving people and booze, this will be a challenge!

Anyhow, thank you all for your very worthwhile contributions! The site is wonderful and ideal for visiting by kayak!