Reply To: Greenland Rolling Courses, Advisory Notice

Mike Gilbert

James Manke is one of the better known Greenland Rolling coaches who is also a well versed in teaching practical methodology that works (for greenland rolling).  I learned a lot from James many years ago and still use a lot of that information when teaching rolling at my clinics.

For me small classes are important in order to provide the individual attention my students need to best attain success with this somewhat complicated sea kayak skill or technique (rolling).  So I will only take on 2 students maximum for a rolling class.

As one of the few Paddle Canada certified Rolling Instructors in Canada I believe it is also important to be able to know the different approaches one can take to successfully learn to roll a Euro kayak vs a greenland kayak – which most of us do not use on a regular basis let alone have access to.  Being able to learn to roll using a greenland kayak and greenland method is certainly the easiest and, often, the quickest way to learning your roll.  Being able to translate what you learned in such a rolling clinic (greenland rolling) and transition to your normally paddled Euro kayak is something possibly requiring another clinic as there are parts to the technique that are different in order to have success.

Mike Gilbert – Certified Rolling Instructor with Paddle Canada – 778-835-0774