Reply To: Clayoquot Sound question

Nick Heath

Parking – some years ago I left 2 cars in the pay lot near the RCMP in Tofino. This seemed a reasonable fee and the proceeds went to the village, although it is against my religion to pay for parking… I don’t know what the options are this year.

An emerging item of note is that the Ahousaht have just announced that they will close several campsites and will patrol with their so-called Guardians to collect $15/day from independent paddlers who are in their traditional territory. While this is illegal except for sites that are in IR or Treaty Settlement Land,  the commercial operators have already caved in and agreed to pay (they’ll just pass on the cost to their customers). In the present emotional, politicized climate I don’t expect the prov govt will say anything – they did not object when the same band charged fees on Vargas for use of the hiking trail, even if one camped at the Prov Park and did not use the trail – arriving instead by paddlecraft.  So – my advice is really that there plenty of alternatives to Clayoquot and I would go elsewhere until we have a clearer picture.

The Ahousaht might have info on a web site – but I did not yet find any.