Reply To: Handheld VHF Recommendations

Daniel Del Vecchio

Good luck on your course šŸ˜€ . I choose not to go with the GPS functions ( i presume your talking about DSC) cause Ā already have one + compare to boat itā€™s efficiency on radio is more limited. Ā Most larger boat have a 25 W radio with taller and less compromised antenna. Making it better to propagate. As kayaker because we are closer to the water and only use 5w radio your Ā DSC wouldnā€™t propagate as well. Like they say ā€œjack of all trade master of noneā€ šŸ˜€. My recommendation would be to buy a cheaper VHF + add a device like ZOLEO,mini garnin or SPOT. Those are true GPS, make sure your signal is send. My choice of Ā radio was : https://www.amazon.ca/Standard-Horizon-HX300-Handheld-Marine/dp/B00AJVXA5W. Itā€™s been working well, it has nice scanning functions, dual watch. But the big seller for me is itā€™s ability to Ā be charge by USB. Most kayak group have Ā a charger somewhere and i even leave a cheap bank in my ditch bag in case i would need to recharge in an emergency. Also radio that use AA ā€œ as emergency ā€œ back up have a tendency to propagate less W when you use it with. Less W less far your signal, less bot can hear you šŸ˜€