Reply To: Southey Point to Wallace Island

Nick Heath

Hi Peter,

I concur with Tony’s comments, although it is only 1 NM from the point to the N tip of Wallace I so that means either waiting for the right moment when the wind is light or sucking it up for just 20 min. or so! (kidding, sort of…one must always be safety conscious!!)

Sailing in this area, I would expect generally light NW winds in Aug – the usual sailors’ frustration – slow progress upwind or downwind and going across the channel (to get max boat speed on a beam reach)  doesn’t get you anywhere much.  Still, it might be honking from the NW with the right warm weather system sucking hot air up out of the interiors of Oregon, Washington, California, Idaho etc.

I don’t know the launch at Southey Pt and can’t think why one would choose to start there.  I think, since you are vehicle based you should find a good shore-side parking spot first – might be harder than the paddling! Hudson should work ok.  Walker Hook likely has no long term parking option.

I’ll put in a plug for being completely car free – although the launch at Wellbury Bay is a pain,  it is definitely do-able (I’ve done it) and there are other possibilities near other ferry terminals. The islanders will love you for leaving your car at Tsawwassen ( although you don’t really save any $ after paying for parking). however dining at various restaurants around the island, shopping in Ganges etc all become logistical challenges.

Keep on watching the best kayak trip channel of all, Peter, at

https://www.bcmarinetrails.org/

Best,

Nick Heath