Assumption of Risks [04/2013]
THE FOLLOWING ASSUMPTION OF RISKS MUST BE AGREED TO IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE IN SKABC TRIPS, TRAINING, AND OTHER CLUB EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES.
“SKABC Activities” include all activities and events provided, arranged, organized, conducted, sponsored or authorized by the Sea Kayak Association of BC (SKABC). SKABC Activities include but are not limited to: lake and ocean kayaking, moving water kayaking, special events, indoor and outdoor club meetings, and social events.
SKABC Activities involve many risks, dangers and hazards including, but not limited to: accidents which occur during the transportation or travel to and from the location or starting point; injuries from slips and falls while getting into or out of boats, transferring equipment to camps, and camping; overturning of boats; impact, cold water immersion; repetitive strain injuries; dislocated shoulders; fractures; damage to boats; accidents while on land; hypothermia; and changing and inclement weather conditions including storms, high wind, high waves.
I AM AWARE OF THE INHERENT RISKS AND HAZARDS ASSOCIATED WITH PARTICIPATING IN SKABC ACTIVITIES AND I FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY ASSUME ALL THESE RISKS AND HAZARDS.
Member Responsibilities [04/2013]
SKABC offers training and other opportunities to members to assist members to develop paddling and related skills. SKABC coordinates opportunities for day trips and multi-day trips for members. While policies, procedures, and materials have been developed to support these activities, all activities are led by and/or organized by volunteers. Accordingly, SKABC members have a responsibility to be aware of SKABC policies and procedures; to comply with the policies and procedures; and prior to participating in an activity, to ensure that they have the skills, health, ability and equipment required to participate in the activity.
I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SKABC ACTIVITIES ARE LED AND COORDINATED BY VOLUNTEERS AND THAT AS A MEMBER OF SKABC, IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY TO ENSURE I HAVE THE SKILLS, HEALTH, ABILITY AND EQUIPMENT REQUIRED TO PARTICIPATE IN THE SKABC ACTIVITIES I ATTEND AND TO COMPLY WITH THE APPLICABLE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES TO HELP ENSURE THE SAFETY AND ENJOYMENT OF ALL PARTICIPANTS.
Release of Liability, Waiver of Claims and Indemnity Agreement [04/2013]
In consideration of SKABC accepting me as a member of SKABC and allowing me to participate in SKABC Activities, I hereby agree as follows:
1. TO WAIVE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS that I have or may in the future have against the Sea Kayak Association of BC, its members, officers, directors, employees, contractors and agents (Releasees) AND TO RELEASE THE RELEASEES from any and all liability for any loss, damage, expense or injury, including death, that I may suffer or that my next of kin may suffer, as a result of my participation in SKABC Activities, DUE TO ANY CAUSE WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR THE FAILING ON THE PART OF THE RELEASEES TO SAFEGUARD OR PROTECT ME FROM THE RISK, DANGERS AND HAZARDS OF PARTICIPATING IN SKABC ACTIVITIES REFERRED TO ABOVE;
2. TO HOLD HARMLESS AND INDEMNIFY THE RELEASEES for any and all liability for any property damage, loss or personal injury to any third party resulting from my participation SKABC Activities;
3. This Release Agreement shall be effective and binding upon my heirs, next of kin, executors, administrators and assigns and representatives, in the event of my death or incapacity;
4. This Release Agreement and any rights, duties and obligations as between the parties to this Release Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of British Columbia and no other jurisdiction; and
5. Any litigation involving the parties to this Release Agreement shall be brought solely within the Province of British Columbia and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the Courts of British Columbia.
In entering into this release agreement I am not relying on any oral or written representations or statements made by the Releasees with respect to the safety of participating in SKABC Activities, other than what is set forth in this release agreement.