Solar charger

• Creator
    Topic
    Lynn Malbeuf
    Participant

Does anyone have any input on what would be the best method/system/device to use to charge things while out on the water. We are heading out for a 10 day paddling trip to Haida Gwaii and want to be able to charge cell phones, camera (no usb) and the marine radio. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Lynn

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Clark Perry-Bater

Hi Lynn, I was camping on Saltspring last week and came across a Dutch guy who is cycling around North, Central and South America. He is using a solar charger called RAV POWER (24-watt version). Here’s the link https://www.ravpower.com/24w-foldable-solar-charger.html. He thinks it’s great. I plan to buy one – $80 US on Amazon. I tried it and in full sun it charged my iPhone 25% in about 45 minutes, much faster than my small Solio charger. It folds up into a small format. It says it will charge on cloudy days, but I have no idea how quickly. It has 3 USB ports to charge items simultaneously, but if you need to charge batteries for a camera and a VHF radio, I don’t know if you can get a USB -chargeable battery charger. Some VHF radios have an accessory that allows you to use AA batteries. Does your radio have that?

Clark Perry-Bater

Marika Stephenson

Hi Lynn,

I bought a Goal Zero Nomad 7 solar charger with the extra battery pack but find that it works better to solar charge a power bank (plugged in to USB port on solar charger) and then use the charged power bank to charge my phone, because iPhones don’t charge well off solar.  If you need charged batteries the extra battery pack will charge 4xAA or 4xAAA batteries.  But you really need direct sun for a few hours a day…not sure if you will get that in a rainforest.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.