Seeking user reviews on Ursack Bear Resistant Bag

• Creator
    Topic
    Kirsten Hathaway
    Participant

I’m curious to know if other members have used the Ursack Major XL Bear Resistant Bag and what the experience was with it. I like that it’s not a fixed shape so could take up less room in my boat (or backpack when hiking) as I consume my food.

Please share your comments based on your experience! Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
    Kirsten

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Quirine Schuyff

All that said I know a few folk that don’t use anything up in the alpine; even in grizzly country.

Quirine Schuyff

I did buy one a while back from MEC (returned the next day) and when I got it home to try it out it seemed like it was near impossible to get the top closed, which of course means smell gets out. Also, I’m guessing if a bear got hold of it he would take it for a walk with him. You’d still need to hang it high.

Where are you going? Some places won’t let you use these. I personally wouldn’t use the Ursack for bears.

Bears in Yosemite, I think, have learned to open the plastic bear bins too.

For small creatures I use plastic nut containers.

For black bears (which I rarely every see in all my trips into the mountains) I would use bins provided; hang food properly or use a bear bin.

If I were headed into grizzly country I would use a proper, expensive, large size bear bin. An absolute requirement in many spots. You can always put other stuff in it as you eat your food.

As for kayaking destinations, I have never had issues with bears in the places I’ve gone and we have stored in our boats.

I borrowed a BEARIKADE once and it is light, big and strong. But VERY expensive. If I were going to the Yukon, I’d buy one.

Anja Pakendorf

Got the large size…

So…it says good for thich bear teeth…nit good for sharp pointy snafflehounds.  I think you could get an aluminum insert.

So up at 3000m elevation in Banff.  No animals in sight. Friends put their food in vestibules.  Mine under some rock plates.

When we returned from our climb….my food bag…the bit that stuck out from under rock was bitten into …left a jaw inprint on bag..my lg ziplock bag inside and 2 Apple Cider pouches got punchtures.  Also found one of our stoves 50ft away…mesh bag shredded…and Aluminum wind screen punctures.

What animal was it ? We saw day old  Grizzly prints higer up & a good km away….so not likely…Wolves ?? Marmot…didn’t see a single one up there.. ? Goat ? …any bigger animal would have had no trouble pulling the ursac out from under the rock plate…the jaw inprint was roughly 5cm by 3 cm.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.