Opinion on Thermoform boats?

• Creator
    Topic
    Marc Spiess

hmm

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Jill Thompson

Marc,

In case you know of anyone else interested in a thermoform kayak, I have just purchased a new boat so will be selling my Merlin.  I will be posting it on the Buy and Sell forum soon.

Cheers,

Jill

Marc Spiess

Thanks for the tips Jill and Jonathan!

I was a little worried about cracks with how thin it is but I guess its just stronger than PE so doesn’t need to be too thick. The salesguy at MEC said it can easily be repaired using the same method as for fibreglass boats, with plastic weld and fibremesh, though for best results repair at home with drill for either end of a crack, some sandpaper, etc. I’ve had my existing boat on river runs and hit some large rocks at high speed without problems, obviously can’t continue doing these carelessly if going to thermoform.

Yes, I noticed most kayakers in the group have a fair amount of gear they bring. Sooner or later I will start bringing tables and chairs..jk.

Maureen Benzon

Hi Marc,

I notice the link to mec’s site says that this boat is no longer available. You could also check out Delta kayaks. They seem to be a very good design and friends who paddle them seem very happy. If you are wanting a touring boat, 14′ is still very small. My boat is 16′ (with space wasted by the skeg box,) and while a long weekend is ok, I am rather challenged for space for a trip of 6 days or more. This is an issue because I particularly  dislike having anything on my deck or in my cockpit. Both of which are OK in mild conditions, but compromising if the water gets chunky

Jill Thompson

Hi Marc,

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner.  I was kayak camping at Berg’s Landing….. with my thermoform boat!

I have had a 13.5 ‘ thermoform Eddyline Merlin LT for about 4 years (the boat is about 12 years old) and think thermoform is a great alternative to rotomolded boats if fibreglass/kevlar is not an option.  It is more scratch resistant than the softer rotomold plastic and  much less likely to oilcan.  It will scratch when run up on the beach but much less than rotomolded and it doesn’t affect the integrity of the boat.  I also like that it is much lighter than a rotomolded kayak (42 lbs).

Without a skeg or rudder it handles very well in both calm and rougher conditions and will track with just a bit of paddle correction but in a following sea it can be a lot of work to keep it straight.  At 101 L. volume it would be a bit of a challenge to tour with unless you are a real minimalist.  My boat is 110 L. and I can go away for a weekend with it, but space really is limited and my partner carries the tent/tarp/stove etc.

If you have any other questions or would like to try out my boat just let me know.

Cheers,

Jill

jtfitness@shaw.ca

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.