New to SKABC

• Creator
    Topic
    Gord Lord

Hello,

I’m new to SKABC and interested in some of the weeknight or weekend day trips. I don’t have a wet suit or dry suit. Are those mandatory for the shorter summer trips? I believe I have all of the other safety gear.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Oriana Graber

Hi, I am new too and also have found this. I rarely use one and don’t have one. (i paddle in good weather usually) but I do understand the need for one on a longer trip and will be buying one.

Also finding that I need a recent training in rescue, which I don’t have but hope to take a class soon to refresh with my new boat. So getting accepted in a group is challenging

It is harder to sign up for trips but as I have been told, you need more caution for kayaking and having a reliable participant is important.

Oriana

Maureen Benzon

Hi Gord,

I agree with Karin. In summer, it is not always necessary, but you must confirm with the trip leader. If it is an informal group arranged through the bulletin board, you are responsible for yourself, but it is still a good idea to ask the coordinator what they think for the area. Most of our longer trips and all of our training require a wet or dry suit. It is worth investing in one.

🙂

Maureen

Karin Hartner

Hi Gord

It would depend on the location of the paddle if I were leading a trip.

For example–Evenings in English Bay, the river or Deep Cove-no.

Howe Sound–yes–as it can blow up.

Karin

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.