City of Vancouver- new Watercraft Strategy

• Creator
    Topic
    Nick Heath
    Participant

Thanks to those members who responded last year to Vancouver Parks Board’s survey of non-motorized watercraft users. Now, they have issued a strategy document and are seeking feedback.  Good for them!  You have until March 16.

This is important even if you live outside the City like most of us, but we launch from time to time we launch there. Their website.

“The Vancouver Park Board is looking for your feedback about On Water: Vancouver’s Non-motorized Watercraft Strategy. Help us imagine the future of canoeing, kayaking, paddleboarding, and more for Vancouver’s waterways!

We would like to share our upcoming open house and workshop dates with you. We hope you can make it!

Attend an Open House

The first hour is a drop-in open house followed by an informal presentation by Vancouver Park Board staff and a workshop. Stay for as much or as little as you can. Please RSVP to the workshop portion of the event at onwater@vancouver.ca

Tuesday, February 27 from 5:30 pm – 9:00 pm

Creekside Community Centre, 1 Athletes Way

Monday, March 5 from 5:00 pm – 8:30 pm

City Lab, 511 West Broadway Street

Saturday, March 10 from 10:30 am – 2:00 pm

Jericho Sailing Centre, 1300 Discovery Street

We want everyone talking about On Water. We’d appreciate your help in circulating the upcoming open house event details to each of your networks!

Feb 27:  https://www.facebook.com/event

Mar 5:  https://www.facebook.com/event

Mar 10:  https://www.facebook.com/event

I’m sorry if you saw an earlier post that was choked with html code that our Forum s/w could not digest.  I stripped it out this time.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Nick Heath

Even of you can’t attend an open house session, please be sure to fill out their survey:

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/on-water-waterway-recreation-strategy.aspx

Nick Heath

Thanks those who came to Tuesday’s Open House at Creekside CC. I’m sure the consultants and staff were listening. Please try to attend one of the upcoming sessions. See the earlier message for where and when.  Remember that our club members and the kayaking public deserve facilities  as much as many other types of recreational users!

Nick Heath

It was super to see several SKABC members incl our illustrious Co-Pres and VP at the first open house held Tues ev. The City staff and consultants were listening attentively, so please try to attend one of the upcoming 2 remaining  sessions if you couldn’t attend this past one. Kayakers seemed to be in the majority, even near the Dragon Boat HQ.

Admin

Hi Nick and Chantal, I can also attend the open house tonight.

Chantal Ethier

Quite right Nick!

I will attend the Feb 27th Open house and I’d like to encourage as many members as possible to attend one of these Open houses – remember that there is strength in numbers and that not attending would be a missed opportunity on our part.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain!

I hope to see many of you there,

Thanks in advance,

Chantal

Nick Heath

I’ll try for Tues 27th.

I’d like our club to push for club lockup protected boat storage space at a city waterfront park and close by a new purpose-built paddling centre, with change rooms and showers. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for, and I’d settle for a city-run public facility if they won’t accommodate our club in its own lock-up (which I think they could and should).  US cities like Venice Beach have much better facilities (but inferior paddling) than we have.  Squamish Paddling Club has a simple but nice lock up covered facility by the ocean. Walk or cycle there and go for an evening paddle, get changed and off home again. Perfect!

Why should the golfers, tennis players, skateboarders and swimmers etc get all the resources?

Chantal Ethier

Hi Nick,

Thank you for sharing this with all of us.  I think this is a great opportunity for our club to be present and get involved.  I think it’s important for us to have representation there.

Nick, are you planning to attend, if so, which date do you have in mind?

Chantal

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.