Carpooling to Salish Marine Trail Opening celebration

• Creator
    Topic
    Sarka Lhotak
    Participant

Hi,

Anybody going to the Salish sea Marine trail grand opening on Newcastle island would like to carpool to Nanaimo to share the cost of the ferry? Leaving sometime on Friday Sep 15th, coming back Sunday afternoon.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gaila Eddie

Hmmm.  I might be in.  How does the camping work there?  Do we need to reserve?

Gaila

Randy Chatterjee

Is anyone else planning to wheel their kayak onto the ferry this Friday to go to the BC Marine Trails weekend: Friday early afternoon departure to Sunday later afternoon return?  Two of us are now planning to meet at St Davids in North Van to combine boats on one car and thus share the parking cost at Horseshoe Bay, work together to move/wheel our boats onto the ferry and to the boat launch in Nanaimo, and then paddle together to Newcastle Island.  Up to two more boats can safely be loaded on my racks for any others who which to share the parking cost.

We might plan on taking the 3:10 PM ferry over on Friday and 5:20 PM ferry back on Sunday, but this is not yet set.

Randy Chatterjee

I will likely either get a ride to, or park at Horseshoe Bay, and then wheel my kayak onto the ferry.    At Nanaimo Departure Bay Terminal, there is a boat launch about 300 metres from the ferry slip, and Newcastle Island is even closer (although we have to paddle around the island to the far side (about 3 km).  IMHO, Having a car in Nanaimo is not particularly useful at all.  So, short of paddling the entire way across (which is what we are celebrating), rolling on the ferry is the next best route to get there.

I would myself love to carpool with people from the eastern lower mainland to split parking costs at Horseshoe Bay.

Randy

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.